- This event has passed.
Sensing Race – A Creative & Somatic workshop
March 24 @ 4:30 pm - March 26 @ 6:30 pm EDT
“Sensing Race opened me on multiple levels to a deeper exploration of race than I previously knew was possible.”
-Hazel, (Past Workshop Participant)<br/><br/>
“The journey of meeting the entities of whiteness and blackness was the most profound.”
– Past Workshop Participant
- What does ‘race’ feel like in your own body – in your own senses?
- In what ways do your senses perceive ‘race’ in the body of another?
- How does this race-fixated culture we’re a part of inhabit and inhibit our bodies; our imaginations; our speech; our dreams and our nightmares? our agendas?
- How might we ‘make sense’ of race, and explore how Blackness and Whiteness inform our relationships, our identities, our emotions; or our very perceptions of reality
- Most importantly, how might we explore these prompts mindfully, playfully, creatively, and even sensually?
Join us via zoom – with workshop facilitators Shay Au Lait and Christos Galanis – for a unique workshop on race, produced in partnership with the Mythic Masculine Network
What we propose to devise for you is a dynamic, creative, somatically-centered container within which we might temporarily pause from wrestling with race and racism intellectually or politically. Inside that pause, we will explore using our own body’s intelligence as an instrument for better understanding the ways in which ancestry and difference might instead be vehicles for play, inspiration, and intimacy, as opposed to barriers that divide us and stoke reactions of fear or violence, and impulses to fetishize, control, or conceal.
By the conclusion of this 2-part workshop, it is our desire that participants might come away with a more resilient and integrated relationship with race. Practically speaking, participants will take away new or more effective tools that employ embodiment, creativity, and play as strategies for resourcing themselves and their communities in the collective struggle of bringing about a more just and inspired society.
1. This is a two-day workshop. Attendees must be present both on
- Wednesday, March 24th from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm EST AND
- Friday, March 26th from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm EST
Attendees will be emailed all details including the private Zoom link. Please ensure you register for the workshop with an ACTIVE email address.
2. 10% of all ticket sales will be donated equally between to organizations/charities of choice by each Facilitator. (Org names TBA.)
3. As this workshop is interactive, sensual, and embodied, space is limited so as to facilitate an intentional and thoughtful container that allows time and space for everyone to sink in and participate.
What They’re Saying
“I loved your creativity, openness, authenticity and willingness to explore difficult topics with curiosity.” – Registered Psychotherapist
“Thanks so much for doing this tricky work, and for a great class.” – Associate Professor of Dance
“OMG!!! Shay and Christos!! So good! Thank you both for this! I am so appreciating each of you, the crucible you are offering here together and the juice you are each bringing, thank you!! “ -Sacred Sexual Healer & Transformational Guide
“I was quite pleased that you did not try to tell us things but instead encouraged us to experience our own feelings and also to learn from other participants.” – Workshop Participant
“..it strikes me that diving into the clean pain/discomfort becomes more fully resourced when it’s held in tandem with pleasure, play for the sake of play. I appreciated your workshop this summer and very much look forward to future opportunities to dive in. Thank you both so much. so grateful to get to play and explore lovingly in this terrain– our creativity gives us a place to live into. deep bow. “ – Meditation Teacher, Conscious Dance Facilitator, & Yoga Instructor